Upselling, when done right, is an effective strategy to increase your transaction totals. It’s a tactic many businesses use from the fast food industry all the way to service providers. But there is a right and a wrong way to go about upselling your customer. And in some cases, attempting to upsell can actually hurt your business more than it can help. To help you avoid being that company, we’re sharing some tactics that will bring your upselling game to the next level.
What is upselling?
This is a tactic that businesses use to entice the buyer to purchase more expensive items, upgrades, or other add-ons to make the same more profitable.
Think to the last time you went through a fast food drive through. Chances are, when you placed our order, they asked if you’d like to supersize that meal. That’s a classic example of upselling.
upsell the right way
While the ultimate goal with upselling is to increase your bottom line, you have to keep some things in mind to upsell the right way.
- Truly consider the customer, their goals, and their ultimate needs. You do not want to compromise the integrity of your relationship with your customer for a few extra bucks.
- Set modest goals in order to protect that integrity.
- Have a process in place to identify the customers with a real need for additional services or upgrades.
- If you’re a client-serving business, consider upsells that provide a quick win for your customer, like a social media audit.
- Pay attention to trends and implement strategic upsells accordingly.
Upselling apps & Plugins for Shopify
- Upsell Recommendations by Autocommerce
- Orbit Campaign
- Smart Cart Upsell
- Discounted Upsells
- Shop the Look
- Upsell X
So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and start increasing your purchase totals today!
Want to take your e-commerce experience to the next level? We’re Arya Creative, and we are e-commerce creators who happen to be Shopify Experts. Get in touch to rock your e-commerce business.